Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
 
  

Banque Misr Opens a Museum to Document its Heritage and History

Celebrating Banque Misr’s 91st year since it was established (in 7 May 1920), Mr. Mohamed Barakat, Chairman of the bank, inaugurated the preliminary opening of the Banque Misr Museum on 25 May 2011, in the presence of the board members, former chairmen of the bank and grandchildren of Mohamed Talaat Harb, founder of the bank, lead by Mrs. Aamal Nour together with top officials from the bank.

The opening included documentaries on Banque Misr and Talaat Harb, with all the major developments throughout the founding process of the bank, followed by a tour to view the belongings and historical documents displayed in display windows in the main lobby and other rooms of the museum. The museum also includes historical pictures of the bank, and a rare collection belonging to Talaat Harb, which his grandchildren gave to the museum as a present, including the great Nile Pendant named after him by the late president Al Sadat in 1980, in addition to the piece from the Kaaba’s cover gifted to him by King Abdel Aziz Aal Seoud in 1937.

The execution started in 2004, under a concise cultural project that does not only aim at documenting the history of the bank, but also aims at documenting a significant influential historic period of Egyptian history. Moreover, a number of documentary books have been published on the bank, together with producing some documentaries marking the achievements. It is worth mentioning that the museum is now open for visitors.